Sunday, July 19, 2009

Seattle & "Twilight" Trip

In April, I attended the CEC Conference in Seattle. We happened to be arriving the day before booth set up could take place so a co-worker (Marisa) and I decided that instead of sight-seeing in Seattle we'd much rather spend that extra day driving to Forks, WA...or the small town where the "Twilight" saga takes place.

Since we did this the same day we flew in, it turned out to the a LONG day...but totally worth it! After an unexpected ferry boat ride and about a two hour drive through one of the most beautiful parts of the country, we arrived just in time for the evening tour.

On the very windy ferry boat ride


Beautiful drive



This small town has really gone all out to re-create various settings of the book and the tour took us by the town hospital, the "homes" of Bella, Jacob, and the Cullens', the high school, and even over to First Beach which actually looks like how I pictured it while reading (even though the rumor is that the author never visited the town prior to writing the books!).



The very famous sign


Me and the very famous sign ;)



I'm doing the sign for "vampire" and Marisa is doing the sign for "love"...yes we are Twilight nerds


One of the many signs around town declaring love for the book's famous couple


Bella's truck


First Beach at twilight

Since booth set up was the next day we couldn't stay in town and thus made the long journey back (including catching one of the last ferries back in the nick of time) and got to our hotel around 2am. Thank goodness for caffeine!

The rest of the days were busy with the conference though a few evenings allowed time to see parts of the city. One evening we had a lovely dinner at a restaurant on the other side of the bay so we had a gorgeous view of downtown Seattle while we ate.



Pike's Place Market


Starbucks' Headquarters


Great view of the Seattle skyline

Mount St. Helens (taken from the plane!)

1 comment:

Lauren & Phil said...

I am glad you enjoyed Seattle. Phil and I have discussed taking a trip there in the fall because I have a free Southwest flight to use and that seemed like a good destination! I haven't read Twilight though so we will skip that part of the trip!